Although funded by the municipality, the assessor is under the jurisdiction of the County and State Division of Taxation; not Monroe Township.
This Assessor's office values all real property in the Township for the purpose of tax assessments. The office prepares the tax list, and maintains records of every parcel of assessed or exempt property in town. In addition, the Assessor's Office maintains an up-to-date Tax Map and records all changes to this map.
Property tax is the tax levied on the assessed value of all real estate, with the exception of those properties used for religious, educational, or charitable purposes. Approximately 11% of the land in Monroe Township is tax exempt, including the NJ Training School, part of Thompson Park, four small parks, churches and cemeteries. In addition, there is an exemption for those veterans that are 100% disabled and who received the disability due to a war time injury. The total assessed valuation of the Township's -industrial, commercial, residential, and farmland - is known as its "ratables.
Visit the Tax Assessor 's office:
- if you have a question about the tax assessment on your property.
- to apply for property tax deductions and exemptions.
There are a few property tax deductions available to property owners who are residents of New Jersey.
- There is a Veteran's deduction for those who served within specified date ranges as set forth by the State of New Jersey.
- Widow Veteran's deduction for the spouse of a deceased Veteran who was a resident of NJ at the time of death.
- Senior citizen deduction for those over 65 years of age with an income of not more than $10,000 not including Social Security.
- Disability deduction for those with a total and permanent disability whose income is not more than $10,000 not including Social Security.
Applications can be obtained in the Tax Assessors office.
1 Municipal Plaza
Monroe Township, NJ 08831
Division of Assessments - Room 105
Phone: (732) 521-4400
Frequently Asked Questions about Taxes
Forms Used by the Assessor